Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Clutter isn't always a bad thing

I am the Mom who throws away all of her children's papers, artwork, cards, junk, etc. I don't scrapbook. I rarely print photos or compile albums. I have no pictures or artwork hanging on my walls. I am the Mom who wanted to destroy clutter. I didn't think I was very sentimental until I went into a mad dash just to find a card, a letter, a note or anything in my mother's handwriting...just to try t...o connect to her for one moment of time. I didn't find anything.
But, I did find that I am the Mom who saved ALL of her own cards, valentines, report cards, letters from people that I can't even remember who they are anymore! I feel a bit guilty for throwing out all of my kid's tangible memories. So maybe I will save a few for them. It really only took up one box in the basement. But it was so sweet reading some of them. 

And one note of advice I would give to any parent...stop what you are doing and hand-write a note to each of your children. Tell them you love them and are proud of them. Tell them some words of wisdom or anything. Then tuck it away so that maybe one day when you are gone, they can find it and feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment